Online Now 22

Stinging loss leaves Titans at 3-5

Sunday's 19-13 overtime loss for the Tennessee Titans was one that left a bit more of a sting than some of the others.

It was one that, quite frankly, the Titans had no real answers as to how the game with the Indianapolis Colts slipped right through their hands and into the loss column.

“The way we feel right now is probably the way Buffalo felt last week, and it's not a good feeling at all,” safety Alterraun Verner said.

Tennessee led for much of the day, even holding a 13-6 lead until the Colts pieced together a fourth-quarter drive to tie the game with 3:24 to play in regulation.

The loss drops the Titans to 3-5 and sends them further into the depths of the AFC, where a win would have brought them back to .500 and had them in the thick of the chase at the halfway point of their season.

“We are obviously not happy at 3-5. We thought 4-4 is where we would be right at this moment,” Titans coach Mike Munchak said. “But we didn't play good enough to get it done. They know where we stand. It is going to be disappointing and going to hurt for awhile; it should.”

It is the second time in as many seasons the Colts have delivered a crippling blow to the Titans. Last year, a winless Indianapolis team all but killed Tennessee's playoff hopes with a win at Lucas Oil Stadium. And on Sunday, in their first look at Andrew Luck, the Titans gave away a chance to get their first win against the rookie and get back to .500 for the year.

“It hurts real bad. There were a lot of missed plays out there. We definitely could have played better ball,” tight end Jared Cook said.

Some Titans didn't even bother to express their feelings on the loss. Safety Michael Griffin politely declined interviews while still wearing his uniform long after most teammates had dressed.

Receivers Kenny Britt and Nate Washington bolted the locker room before it was even opened to the media.

Offensive penalties

Three times on Sunday, the Titans were whistled for offensive pass interference. Kenny Britt was flagged twice and rookie Kendall Wright was hit once. Britt's first call looked like an obvious push off, one that negated a 43-yard gain.

The other two, an incompletion to Wright, and a 22-yard touchdown pass to Britt, both looked much less obvious to the untrained eye.

“It was frustrating,” quarterback Matt Hasselbeck said. “Particularly three in a row that we hit on go routes were called back. So it's frustrating but the less is that we have to keep our cool a little bit more.”

Titans coach Mike Munchak questioned the officials vantage point in tossing the flag.

“A couple of times, the guy was right there and didn't throw the flag. It was someone else throwing it,” he said. “It's hard to understand all that.”


An already depleted Titans offensive line that was missing left tackle Michael Roos, who was out following an appendectomy, lost right guard Leroy Harris in the first half.

Kevin Matthews came in and finished the game. Harris had a knee injury. He and David Stewart, who also had a knee injury, were hurt on the same play. Stewart, however, returned the next series and finished the game.

“We don't know how Leroy's knee is,” Munchak said. “He got caught right early in the game. … His leg got tangled up, I think. Hopefully, it's not bad.”
Harris will undergo an MRI on Monday to determine the severity of the injury.

Receiver Damian Williams had his finger taped up after the game as well.

Already have an account? Sign In